How Much Does a Stair Lift Cost
One of the bigger questions often asked of people looking at getting a stair lift installed in either theirs or a loved one’s home is the cost involved. Sadly there is no flat answer to this as the cost of the installation of the stair lift involves several factors.
Tight or Curved Stairwell
If you want to install a stair lift in a tight stair well or even a round stair well your stair lift can often cost much more due to the custom design required to meet the needs of the stair well. Tight or curved stair wells often also require some construction on the stair well to meet the needs of the stair lift.
Curved stairwells can make a difference of several thousand dollars when it comes to the cost of stair lifts. A way of getting around the curved stair lift problem is if the curve is at near a ninety degree turn is installing two separate stair lifts, one above and one below the curve. This would require the user to dismount one stair lift and mount the other but would offer substantial cost savings.
Type of Stair Lift Needed
There are many different types of stair lifts, and the type of stair lift does significantly impact the price. It is important however to select the proper stair lift and not attempt to cut costs as it could result in injury of the person using the stair lift. The different types of stair lifts are:
• Standing Stair Lifts – The user stands up on a platform allowing them to go up or down the stairs. These are often the least expensive.
• Sitting Stair Lifts – With sitting stair lifts the user sits down and rides a chair up and down the stair well. These are more expensive than standing stair lifts but are much more common.
• Battery Operated – Some stair lifts are battery operated
• Electrical Operated – Other stair lifts are operated off your homes electrical system. These may or may not have battery back up in the event of power failure.
• The weight of the user – If a person using the stair lift is on the heavier side, it will cost more money for a stair lift system.
Its important that you get several quotes from companies that visit your home and perform measurements as well as investigate your physical needs. Only when this is done can a proper and accurate quote on a stair lift system be given. Be sure to get the quote in writing and make sure it includes all fees including installation and shipping. Be sure to get quotes from several different companies to make sure you are getting the best price on your new stair lift system.
If you would like to save a bit of money investigate getting a refurbished stair lift system. Refurbished stair lifts typically come at a substantial discount, however you should make sure that your stair lift system does include a warranty and service plan.